It's Cinco de Mayo! (May 5th) Are you planning to make something special and sweet for the day? Here's a creative taco cookie recipe you should definitely try! As soon as you have all the ingredients, you just need to assemble it into a taco!
Chocolate Oreos, crushed (as taco meat)
Vanilla frosting, divided
Golden Oreos (as taco shells)
Peanut butter chips or melts
Shredded coconut + few drops green food coloring (as lettuce)
Hot Tamales candies (as tomatoes)
Yellow + Orange Starburst candies (as shredded cheese)
FOR "TACO MEAT"
1.Process Oreos in a blender or food processor to create coarse crumbs, or place cookies in a Ziploc bag and break them up.
2. Place the crumbs in a medium bowl and mix in a little bit of the vanilla frosting until the frosting is no longer visible and its evenly distributed.
FOR "TACO SHELLS"
3. To prepare the golden Oreo "taco shells", separate the cookies and scrape off the creme filling. Use a serrated knife to cut the Oreos into 2/3 and 1/3 pieces.
4. Melt the peanut butter chips or melts
5. Use an offset spatula or piping bag to place a line of melted peanut butter chips along the edge of the 2/3 piece of golden Oreo.
6. Place the 1/3 piece on the melted peanut butter chips so it forms an open taco shell. Set completed taco shells on a wax-paper lined cookie sheet to allow the peanut butter chips to set until hard.
7. Dye shredded coconut with a few drops of green food coloring. Use a fork to evenly distribute the color.
8. Cut the Hot Tamales candies in thirds, keeping only the outer pieces.
9. Unwrap the Starburst and place 3 in the microwave for about 5 seconds to soften up, then use a sharp knife to cut shreds of "cheese".
10. Stuff "taco shells" with a bit of "taco meat".
11. Add a small line of the reserved vanilla frosting on top to act as "sour cream" but also a binding for the toppings.
12. Place some "lettuce", a few "tomatoes", and some "cheese" to the tacos.
13. Use a toothpick to dip in vanilla frosting to add more "glue" as necessary.
14. Enjoy and display these mini taco cookies at your party!